Hazardous materials: miscellaneous amendments
Published in the June 2016 issue of Washington Update
The Pipeline and Hazardous Material Security Administration issued a final rule
(FR) modifying the Hazardous Materials Regulations in order to update and
clarify certain regulatory requirements. These amendments are designed to:
- Promote safer transportation
- Address petitions for rulemaking.
- Respond to National Transportation
Safety Board (NTSB) Safety Recommendations.
- Facilitate international commerce.
- Make editorial corrections.
- Simplify the regulations.
The amendments in this rulemaking include, but are
not limited to:
- Testing of pressure relief devices on cargo tanks
in propane delivery.
- Removing the packing group II designation for
certain organic peroxides incorporating requirements for trailers of manifolded
- Providing requirements to allow for shipments of
damaged wet electric batteries.
- Revising the requirements for the packaging of
nitric acid, and shipments of black or smokeless powder for small arms.
Agency Contact: Michael Ciccarone 202-366-8553.
PUBLISHED: 6/2/2016; ACTION: FR: REFERENCE: 81 FR 35483; REG: 49 CFR Parts 107,
171,172, 173, 175, 176, 177, 178, 179 and 180; EFFECTIVE: July 5, 2016.
View the full text of this